Do you celebrate the small victories in life?
Do you get irrationally happy when small, good things happen to you?
Do you appreciate being able to start something small and have it make a big impact?
I’ve created Starting Small to show you how many different things can start small in our lives and end up impacting us big time. I believe all things matter from an amazing batch of blueberry muffins, to a quirky carved pumpkin, to 2 weeks in Europe, to a solid month working out at the gym.
Starting Small will cover topics from lifestyle, travel, food and drink, and arts and crafts. No small thing will be left unexplored! Join me on this journey through life.
Who am I? I’m Kara Small. I live in Dallas, Texas, with my boyfriend, our two cats and one dog. I work an 8-5 job that I enjoy but does not define who I am. I am quirky and silly and creative. I love to laugh and I try to make the best of all situations. Early in 2015, I embarked on an epic fitness journey and have been able to finally turn my life around after years of eating my emotions and slipping further and further out of shape. I have a strong science background and I aim to share with you the science and the life experience I have learned throughout this journey to a better, happier me.
Do you like lists? I love lists. They’re so much easier and more fun to read than a paragraph. Here’s a list to get to know me and see everything we have in common:
- I have a degree in Wildlife Ecology and Management from Texas A&M University.
- I love the color green, but blue is a close second.
- I have suffered severe bouts of depression and darkness in my life.
- I love to cook and bake and prance around my kitchen.
- I love lists. Grocery lists, to do lists, you name it, if it’s a list, I love it.
- I hate peas and beans.
- I dislike cardio, but I love weight lifting.
- Cake might be the greatest thing ever invented.
- I’ve lived on 2 continents and visited 6 continents (Antarctica here I come!).
- I am an avid scuba diver and world traveler.
- My parents are from Africa-their parents were missionaries.
- I played clarinet for 8 years.
- I’ve gained about 100 pounds since high school. (now you see why I’m so into fitness!)
- I get choked up when I hear pipe organs, especially really old ones in old churches.
- I love heights.
- Tulips and orchids are my favorite flowers.
- I’m really good at teaching people.
- I’m obsessed with the 1940s and 1950s fashion and hair styles.
- I love the outdoors-camping, kayaking, hiking, sunbathing (that counts as an outdoor activity, right?), just anything outside.
- When I begin a good book, I can’t stop until I’ve read the entire thing-as quickly as possible.
I very much look forward to our time together and can’t wait to continue to bring you quality fun and information!